COVID-19. I know you are all probably sick of hearing those words, but it is the reality we are living in at the moment. This pandemic has had a major impact on a lot of things in our everyday lives. A lot of people have been laid off, or are unsure as to where their future lies in their career – there is a lot of uncertainties as this international tragedy progresses and the pressure is on. Not only this but some people are living completely alone, with no physical contact with other humans… that is unbearably hard. I know that some of you probably fit in this category and as such are not in such a great mental state right now.
I personally have found it hard to wrap my head around how my life will pan out going forward, but I am trying to make the most of what I have right now. I am using my time productively (for the most part) because I am a creature of structure and routine. Believe it or not I haven’t even watched a single movie or tv (Netflix) show because I have made my mental to-do lists way too long each day.
I was watching a video last night that spoke to me, funnily enough it was a fitness based Youtuber’s video, she based in Toronto (I think she still lives there, don’t quote me), her name is Abby Pollock (amazing by the way, check her out). She was talking about being a perfectionist (in terms of working out, which is also true for me, but more-so I was relating to the COVID situation); she was saying that she would think so much about what she wanted to do at the gym – what she should be doing, how she should be doing it… but she wasn’t actually going to the gym because she was thinking about it so much.
I feel the exact same way, but about everything – I put too much on my plate and I do not have enough time to get it all done… even during COVID; my expectations for myself are sky high. She then pointed directly at the camera and said if you are like this I see you, slow down. Slow down. Such a simple thing to do but something I never really think about… unless I slow down completely and do absolutely nothing.
I am an all or nothing kind of girl as she said in her video, BUT, I am going to work on changing that throughout this isolation period. Even today, I have been running around like a chicken with it’s head cut off: cleaning, cooking, blogging, trying to help out people I love with various things, getting distracted by music… when really all I should be doing is finishing this post right here.
Now in saying this, in a work setting I know when things need to get done and I can get them done in a timely fashion because I force myself to stick to one task (or multi-task as needed) at a time. I know the importance of dates and timelines, limitations (this is the Paralegal in me talking) as it has been instilled in me in school. When it comes to my hobbies and other things I enjoy doing though, that is when my brain goes haywire.
That is what I am working on currently, slowing down. Now, in saying this, I feel like this situation is heightening my “OCD” tendencies as well – I have been hyper-focused on keeping everything around me clean and keeping the people around me safe. I know it’s not my job to take care of everyone and yet I still can’t help but do that… it is probably quite annoying but I would rather take extreme measures to make sure everyone is okay than do nothing (or even just let little things slide) and the worst case scenario pan out.
I know you have heard it a million times, but if any of you need anything please do not hesitate to reach out. Honestly, I am here, I don’t even care if we have never spoken once in our lives… I will listen. If you are feeling alone and want to chat online, I am all ears – I will even try to entertain you! Let’s do a painting together, or read the same book and discuss it – even hobbies I don’t enjoy I will (try my best) to partake in them if it makes you feel good. It’s a very tough time and even though I have been keeping myself very busy, nothing I am doing is extremely “important” it is all just things to keep my time occupied, so please feel free to bug the heck out of me!
Incase that just isn’t your thing, here is a list of things I have been doing to keep my time occupied/things I want to do in the future that you can try too!
- Read a book: I am currently reading the last novel in the Throne of Glass Series, Kingdom of Ash (please do not start here, start at the beginning… you will be SO confused). It is one of, if not my all time favourite series so 10/10 would recommend. The first book is called Throne of Glass.
- Workout: I am planning on having a “prison body” by the end of this thing… speaking of as soon as I am done this… oh look my brains going off on a tangent again.
- Start a Blog (or blog if you already have one), Youtube Channel, New Niche Instagram, or something to express yourself in a new way.
- Learn a new recipe: Can’t say that I have done this a whole lot as I have had the luxury of being cooked for mostly (thank you Mom and D) but I am going to start experimenting more soon!
- Tend to your pets & plants… obviously, but it’s fun none-the-less!
- Journal: I have yet to do this but I want to start documenting my feelings, as I said, stressful time – venting is important.
- Take a class: there are a bunch of free classes available online right now for essentially whatever hobby you enjoy: there are professional dancers teaching classes you can take, all levels of experience and styles available from a lot of different places (just google and you shall find), Disney is also doing follow along sketch tutorials of some characters (Anna, Stitch, Chip… I could go on forever) I have yet to do either of these things but they are a the top of my to-do list.
I know I didn’t really talk about my outfit in this post but here are the basic you need to know, I am wearing:
| Frank and Oak Stevie Jean | ASOS Grey Turtleneck Bodysuit |
| Thrifted ACDC Band Tee | Primark Western Belt (Similar) |
| Dynamite Plaid Duster Coat (Similar: SheIn | H&M | LeChateau) |
| H&M Booties (Similar) |
This has been a pretty regular go-to outfit for me recently. I am loving layering turtlenecks under t-shirts, but specifically band tee’s because it just adds that extra oomph and bit of grunge I have been loving lately. Mind you I wore this outfit at a horrible time as we were bridesmaid dress shopping and I had to take all of these layers on and off many times (wasn’t even thinking); but I have also worn it many other places and just can’t stop because it is comfortable, casual, stylish and easy to piece together.
Also, this just goes to show you how versatile my Frank and Oak Stevie Jeans are.. seriously I am telling you this brand is amazing – check them out. The Canadian economy is swirling down the drain too, and because of this I like being able to give back to smaller Canadian businesses and will be focusing on doing so going forward for a little while. I hope you all consider doing the same :).
As I said, you are not in this alone. I meant every word I typed, please feel free to reach out if you need it or even if you don’t and just want to be friends, let’s connect!
Stay safe, be responsible, wash your hands… and get some good hand cream because you are going to need it.